Friday, October 26, 2012

Spaten Oktoberfest

October may be my favorite month of the year and one of the many reasons is Oktoberfest brews.  I have tried my fair number of Oktoberfest beers and enjoyed almost all of them.  Originally Sam Adams Octoberfest was one of my favorites, but as time has passed and my tastes have expanded other beers have peaked my interest this time of year.  Victories Festbier is one of my top ten beers, Blue Moon's Harvest Moon is a great beer and Stoudt's Oktoberfest is one of my favorite seasonal beers, I could go on and on.  So since this week is the last weekend in October, I needed to honer Oktoberfest with a beer that I had yet to try. 

A little history for those that don't know.  Oktoberfest traditionally runs for a 16 day period from late September and ending the first weekend in October.  Held in Munich, Germany it is the worlds largest fair; more proof that beer is good. The entire idea of a festival began all the way back in 1810 when Crown Prince Ludwig, who would become King Ludwig, married Princes Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen (One needs a drink after saying that name).  The people of Munich threw a festival every year thereafter to celebrate the marriage and like every wedding people drank...a lot.  Oktoberfest has since grown and now all across the world festivals are held to celebrate not a wedding in 1810, but great beer.  You see the Irish had it half right with the one day festivities of St. Patty's Day, the Germans took it to the next level with a 16 day festival, but us Americans said "What the hell, let's celebrate the entire month of October!". 

Spaten beer is a traditional beer brewed in Munich Germany.  I'm no Good Will Hunting, but Spaten Oktoberfest seemed like a good beer to try this week using the following formula: German beer + Brewed in Munich + October = Spaten Oktoberfest.  "How you like them apples"?  This beer is dark in color, mirroring most Oktoberfest brews.  The smell of the beer reminds me of the smell of the day after a college basement party.  Not in a bad way though, if that makes any sense to you at all.  The taste is very good, medium to full bodied.  It's not overly heavy where one or two will fill you up and have you reaching for the an-acids.  It's more a beer that you could actually have a few of them and be alright.  It's almost like the every day beer of Oktoberfest.  Nothing great, but nothing bad either, just a good solid beer.

Questions:  Does this beer crack the top ten?  Not so much, but I will purchase and drink this again.  It's not a beer for a top ten list for me, maybe top ten Oktoberfest beers, but just not overall.  Was it worth the price?  I would have to say yes.  I paid $7.99 at Whole Foods for it, or as we like to say Whole Paycheck.  But as beer prices go today, I would say it's worth it.

A good, solid beer for the season, one that I will drink maybe every year around this time.  My overall rating: 3 out of 5.  Not great, not bad, just good.  If interested in Spaten Beer check out www.spatenbeer.com.  If you not interested in the beer, but you are interested in Oktoberfest, I would highly recommend the Spaten site.  There are tabs for traditional dress, music and what to include to throw your own Oktoberfest, great site.

Bis zum folgenden Gebräu!


No comments:

Post a Comment